On February 28, 1937, the Omega Chapter was first installed at one of the South’s great universities, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, organized by George S. Toll. At the time of its formation, there were several competing groups on campus: Tau Epsilon Phi, Zeta Beta Tau, and Phi Alpha.
Housing was difficult to obtain, but finally a small house was leased at 306 McCauley Street, some distance from the campus. The chapter’s housing facility was decidedly inadequate, and this, coupled with the distance from campus, resulted in a failure to pledge an adequate number of men. By the end of 1939, the Omega Chapter was on the dormant list, and the house was purchased by another group.
In 1947, under the leadership of Joseph Lefkowitz, and with the help of Arnold B. Hoffman, the chapter was reactivated. For the 1947-48 academic year, a house on Fetzer Lane, though inadequate, was obtained, but by 1951, Omega was inactive once again.
Sporadic attempts since 1951 to re-activate the chapter were unsuccessful until 2000 when Omega was re-activated with the initiation of seven new brothers. The fraternity sprung out of the hard work of the refounding members: Matt Minchew (the first chapter president), Scott Fisher, Joshua Klein, Simon Newman, Jeffrey Richek, Mike Schoen and Benjamin Silverberg.
Omega was officially rechartered on March 23, 2002. The ceremony was held at the Carolina Inn. Supreme Master Jonathan Pierce, Supreme Scribe Ira Brody, and International Director of Chapter Services Andy Borans presented a replica of the original Omega charter to Jonathan Bowman, Phillip Brodsky, Benjamin Couch, Matthew Fishbein, Scott Fisher, Adam Geller, Jeffrey Goodstein, Craig Hoovler, Mitchell Kaye, Joshua Klein, David Krusch, Brandon Lunk, Matt Minchew, Jeffrey Richek, Zachary Rosner, Jonathan Saks, Steven Shifrin, Benjamin Silverberg, Joshua Stalford, Asher Stein, Colin Sutker, Benjamin Tosky, and Ryan Zimmerman. Or Mars, honorary brother and executive director of North Carolina Hillel, was also present.
University recognition and Interfraternity Council Membership were obtained during Spring 2003. Shortly thereafter, the prominent center-house in Fraternity Court was secured for the chapter by one of the brothers. Having a physical symbol of its presence and, finally, a central meeting place aided recruitment efforts and led to a new era of pledge class sizes that were competitive or larger than most fraternities on campus. The Omega chapter endured a brief hiatus off-campus beginning in 2008, yet thrived both socially and academically, and continued to grow. The brothers of the Omega chapter of AEPi were proud to return to a house in Fraternity Court in the fall of 2013, where the chapter remains housed today.